A friend of mine is going through a break-up and she’s struggling to get the emotional support she needs. Hearing her talk about the difficulties of being listened to raised the following questions in my mind:
- Can I listen without thinking ahead to what I’m going to say next?
- Can I listen without jumping in with well-meaning advice?
- Can I listen without getting distracted by my own thoughts and concerns?
- Can I listen without changing the subject to something more ‘interesting’?
- Can I listen with my heart as well as my head?
How good are you at listening?